SEO Requirements - tawana0518/mywebclass-simulation GitHub Wiki
What is SEO?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) aims to enhance a website's visibility and ranking on SERPs by optimizing its content and structure. This process increases organic traffic through techniques like keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, and technical adjustments, ultimately improving user experience and ease of navigation.
What is the business requirement for SEO?
- Use of proper semantic HTML elements:header, main, nav, article, section, and footer Implemented correctly for the footer.
- Optimize title and meta description: title, meta name="description"
- Use header tags (h1, h2, h3, etc.)
- Optimize URLs: Ensure that your URLs are descriptive, concise, and use hyphens to separate words.
- Optimize images: When adding images, make sure to include descriptive alt attributes and use proper file names to help search engines understand the content of the image.
Positive Tests Needed for SEO Requirements
A positive test for the business requirement would involve monitoring key SEO metrics to ensure that the implemented SEO strategies are effectively improving the website's visibility and ranking in SERPs.
A successful positive test will confirm that the basic SEO practices have been effectively implemented, including:
- Verify that the header, main, nav, article, section, and footer tags are used appropriately and in the correct hierarchy.
- Verify that each page has a unique and descriptive title tag.
- Verify that a meta name="description" tag with a brief summary of the page's content is present on each page.
- Verify that header tags (h1, h2, h3, etc.) are utilized in a hierarchical manner.
- Verify that URLs are descriptive, concise, and use hyphens to separate words.
- Verify that images have descriptive alt attributes and proper file names.
Negative Tests for SEO Requirements
SEO negative tests is to identify and correct any issues with a website's HTML elements and structure that may negatively impact its search engine rankings.
- Verify that the website has no duplicate or missing title tags.
- Verify that there are no missing or empty meta name="description" tags.
- Verify that header tags are not used inappropriately (e.g., multiple h1 tags on a single page, skipping header levels).
- Verify that URLs do not have any special characters or unnecessary parameters.
- Verify that there are no images with missing or empty alt attributes.
Tools/Technologies for Implementation/Testing for SEO Requirements
Playwright tests and Lighthouse reports can be used together to test and optimize a website's SEO. Playwright tests simulate user interactions to test website functionality, while Lighthouse generates reports on performance, accessibility, best practices, and SEO. Together, they help ensure that a website meets SEO best practices and is optimized for search engines, improving visibility and organic traffic.
SEO aims to increase a website's visibility on search engines by optimizing its content and structure. The business requirement for SEO includes using proper HTML elements, optimizing titles, meta descriptions, headers, URLs, and images. Positive tests involve monitoring SEO metrics, while negative tests identify and correct issues. Playwright tests and Lighthouse reports are tools used for SEO implementation and testing.