05. Operation - outdoorbits/little-backup-box Wiki
Regardless of the source from which a backup is performed, the following statements apply:
- Files are never deleted on the target disk during backup.
- If the source is emptied after a backup and then filled with new recordings, only the new recordings will be added to the target device during the backup.
- However, if files were created on the source device in the same subfolder and with the same name as files previously backed up on the target, the old files on the target will be overwritten.
- Files on the source device that have already been backed up to the target device must be compared again with each backup. This may take a lot of time, especially when backing up to cloud storage. Therefore, files that already have been backed up should be deleted on the source device.
When backing up from or to a USB storage device, please note the following:
- When backing up from and to a USB storage device, make sure none or only the target device is connected before starting the backup. Otherwise source and target device would be assigned more or less randomly!
- USB devices are automatically mounted during backup.
- Please note that a USB storage device will be unmounted when a backup is finished.
- After a completed backup, USB storage devices can be safely removed.
- If you want to access a USB storage device via file manager or mejiro outside of a running backup, the drive must be mounted manually. This function is available under Tools.
- If a USB storage device has been manually mounted, it must be umounted before removing. Use Tools for this as well.
Camera as source
Lots of cameras and smartphones are compatible to gphoto2 and hence they can be backuped convenient by Little Backup Box. This can save the need of a card reader.
On most smartphones, the PTP mode must be activated first. It's easy and the search engines help quickly here.
For optimal configuration of Little Backup Box please check the wiki: Directories to be backuped from smartphones and cameras.
On backup from camera, Little Backup Box can not compare source and target before the backup. If there is a number of files on the camera, it will download all of them. If some or all of them have already been at the target before, this won't change the file count at the target. So the progress information will not be correct.
Example: There are 78 images on your camera, but 71 of them have been backuped before. Progress information will start at "0 of 78". Because only seven files are new, progress will not start until the first 71 files are re-downloaded. After that files 72 to 78 are downloaded and the backup finishes at "7 of 78".
rsync-server as target
To use an own rsync-server as target, you need rsync version 3.2.3 or better on your server. For server-setup have a look at readme_rsync.md
cloud-services as target
Numerous cloud storage services can be used via rclone. All configured cloud storages are offered as possible backup destinations on the "Main" page.
To configure cloud storage, go to "Settings" and there to "Configure Cloud-services" and follow the link. The rclone-gui will open in a new window.
The username for the gui is "lbb". If a global password has been set, it is also valid here.
If an error message appears (Something else but "Status: rClone Backend is connected and working as expected"): Please log out of the gui and log in again.
New services can be configured under "Configs". This can be done easily with webdav, for example.
However, many of these services use oauth and cannot be configured via the gui. In this case you have to
- install rclone on a PC or smartphone and set up the connection there
- open the generated config file and copy the required section to the clipboard
- Open the Little-Backup-Box web interface, go to "Files"
- find the rclone.conf file (into the base-folder)
- click on it and then select "Edit"
- insert the new section there
Generally excluded files from backup
There are two groups of files excluded from backup:
- "*.id": This is recognised as the storage id-marker of Little Backup Box.
- Files in folders of the name "tims" (and this folders): They are recognised as thumbnail-folders of mejiro and not backed up to save storage and time.