4. Challenges and Lessons Learned - frk2689/UXDM-AVRP-VRgardening Wiki
- At the beginning we had some technical difficulties setting up the hardware and choosing the versions of Unity and the Oculus Integration Kit that were compatible with the out devices.
- We faced some challenges with the 3d-models downloaded from the asset store, as we weren't able to apply certain scripts to them (e.g. OVRGrabbable). We solved this problem by creating the necessary models ourselves.
- Outside-in tracking system was limiting due to the missing line of sight between cameras and controllers when picking things up off the ground.
- As both of us had little Unity experience prior to this course, we learned the basic concepts related to VR and Oculus, as well as writing basic C# code.
- We gained better understanding for 3D game mechanics and physics.
- We learned how to make animations in Unity.
- We experienced what VR sickness feels like. During longer sessions we tested the game sitting down, which made the VR sickness better.
- Due to the movement of our player controller using the thumbstick, moving sideways and changing direction without moving in real life causes dizziness. The walking mechanic would be an important feature to improve, if we were to expand the game.
- We did not include a menu because our game has a very limited number of features. Instead we tried to communicate what was possible through the position of the player at the beginning of the game and vivid colors of the plant seeds and the planting pots. However, during our user testing session multiple participants said they liked the night scene very much, especially because of the campfire and the glowing flowers. This is why we included the option to toggle between the day and the night scene. We thought this option would be available in the main menu of the complete game. Since we don't have a menu, we assigned this action to the Tab key.
- Due to the limited time (as we were only able to work on the project during the practical class time slots in the VR lab), we were not able to integrate some other features that were suggested during the user testing session.
- Another feature that would be nice to have is interactive water: having to fill the bucket with water from the river, being able to extinguish the campfire with water, checking the amount of water left in the watering can.
Both of us worked on the project equally and together during the practical classes at the THI VR lab.