Installation Guides - commaai/openpilot Wiki
This page is a repository of the numerous existing installation guides as well as a supplement for additional information. If you read through this entire page and relevant links before starting your installation, you are less likely to have installation issues. Note: it is recommended that you install the device in your car before loading openpilot onto the device.
Once you have the device installed, you can proceed to Install openpilot.
Table of Contents
- Installation Videos
- Installation Instructions
- Additional Installation Suggestions
- Installation Troubleshooting
It is recommended that you fully watch an installation video before undertaking your installation. A number of good installation videos exist:
Official Installation Guide
|Honda Civic 2017||comma|
|Toyota Corolla 2020||Logan LeGrand|
- See the comma FAQ particularly the section titled
How do I mount the comma two?
- comma has also provided a pictorial walk through of the steps.
Additional Installation Suggestions
The comma community has developed the following additional suggestions that may improve your installation process:
Aligning and Placing Components
- It is best to test fit the various components before permanently affixing them. Check to make sure that all cords will reach and that covers can be replaced. Ensure there is enough space between the mount and the mirror that you will be able to remove the device from the mount. Also make sure the mount will not interfere with the removal of any cover around your rear-view mirror.
- The main comma mount should be affixed in the center of the windshield below the rear-view mirror attachment even though this will cause the road facing camera to be slightly off center. openpilot has a calibration process that will adjust for this slight shift. Mounting the camera on the center line of the car will help to prevent issues with the driver facing camera properly seeing the driver.
- Whiteboard markers can be used to mark your test fit location. Be sure none of the marker material will be covered by the adhesive.
- One suggestion has been to affix a string to the outside of the windshield to denote the center-line of the windshield.
- openpilot is tolerant of small abnormalities in the mounting. If you can hang a picture you can do this.
Encouraging a Strong Adhesive Bond
comma provides the following instructions in the package:
- Before adhering any components, it is recommended that you clean the area with isopropyl alcohol (often called IPA on Discord) to remove any oils or other contaminants from the surface. This is particularly important for the main comma mount. Contaminants may cause the adhesive hold to weaken, resulting in your device falling off your windshield.
- When affixing the main comma mount to the windshield, try to prevent air from being trapped under the adhesive. This can be done by adhering one edge of the mount to the windshield first and "rolling" the rest of the mount onto the windshield.
- Many people recommend leaving mount adhered to your windshield for 24-48 hours before attaching the device. It is also recommended that you keep the mount out of the sun for this "curing" time period. Attaching tape to the exterior of your windshield helps to provide shade while the adhesive sets if you can't keep it in the dark.
- Avoid installing the mount on very cold days. The adhesive may not form a strong bond under cold temperatures. Additionally, the condensation from your breath on the windshield could prevent a strong bond from forming. If necessary, install with with window defrost on to warm up the window and prevent condensation.
- Be sure to attach all cables firmly. This is one of the main installation errors. The automotive cables should all click when fully seated. The RJ45 (flat Ethernet cable) should also nicely click into both connections.
- The USB-C connection should be pushed in with some force. Users with errors have frequently discovered that the USB-C connection on the back of the C2 is a tight fit make sure the connector is fully inserted.
- Try not to bend or pinch the USB-C cable. The wires and connectors, while covered in protective plastic, are sensitive and very thin internally.
- Transparent comma mount - A transparent mount instead of the black one that comes with the comma. This is handy if you drive around without the comma device mounted to your windshield.
My mount fell off
If your mount falls off, discard at least the VHB (the adhesive) or the whole mount if you like. Any adhesive that has attempted to stick and failed is compromised and the same thing will happen if you attempt to reuse it. comma provides you with a second mount, so just use that. Another option is to order two new mounts from the shop. Be sure to go through all of the cleaning steps again, especially use of isopropyl alcohol. You can also purchase additional VHB adhesive from Amazon, the 3in squares work well.
How do I Remove the Residue on the Windshield after removing the Mount
IPA is usually all you need to do this (see above for what IPA is). If it is really bad, products like goo-gone can be used, but be sure to clean them off thoroughly before reinstalling a mount again.
Community Troubleshooting Video
If you are a visual learner, the community has also created some troubleshooting videos that may help you:
|Toyota Corolla 2020||Logan LeGrand|