Installation Guides - commaai/openpilot Wiki
This page is a repository of the numerous existing installation guides as well as a supplement for additional information. If you read through this entire page and relevant links before starting your installation, you are less likely to have installation issues. Note: it is recommended that you install the device in your car before loading openpilot onto the device.
Once you have the device installed, you can proceed to Install Openpilot.
Table of Contents
It is recommended that you fully watch an installation video before undertaking your installation. A number of good installation videos exist:
Official Installation Guide
||Honda Civic 2017
||Toyota Corolla 2020
Additional Installation Suggestions
The Comma community have developed the following additional suggestions that may improve your installation process:
Aligning and Placing Components
- It is best test fit the various components before permanently affixing them. Check and make sure that all cords will reach, and that covers can be replaced. Make sure there is enough space between the mount and the mirror so that you will be able to remove the device from the mount. Also make sure the mount will not interfere with the removal of any cover around your rearview mirror.
- The main Comma mount should be affixed in the center of the windshield below the rearview mirror attachment. Even though this will cause the road facing camera to be slightly off center. Openpilot has a calibration process that will adjust for this slight shift. Attempting to mount the camera on the center line of the car, may prevent the driving facing camera from properly seeing the driver.
- Whiteboard markers can be used to mark your test fit location, but be sure none of the marker material will be covered by the adhesive.
- One suggestion has been to affix a string to the outside of the windshield to denote the centerline of the windshield.
- Openpilot is tolerant of small abnormalities in the mounting, if you can hang a picture you can do this.
Encouraging a Strong Adhesive Bond
Comma provides the following instructions in the package:
- Before adhering any components using adhesive, it is recommended that you clean the area with Isopropyl Alcohol (often called IPA on Discord) to remove any grease, oils, water, or other contaminants. This is particularly important for the main Comma mount. Contaminants may cause the adhesive hold to weaken, which could result in your device falling off your windshield.
- When affixing the main Comma mount to the windshield, try to prevent any air from being trapped under the adhesive. This can be done by adhering one edge of the mount to the windshield first and "rolling" the rest of the mount onto the windshield.
- Many people recommend leaving mount adhered to your windshield for 24-48 hours before placing a load on it (such as mounting the C2). It is also recommended that you keep the mount on the dark out of the sun for this "curing" time period. Some people have suggested affixing tape to the exterior of your windshield to shade it during this time if you can't keep it in the dark.
- Avoid installing the mount on very cold days. The adhesive may not form a strong bond under cold temperatures. Additionally, the condensation from your breath on the windshield could prevent a strong bond from forming. If necessary, one suggestion is to install with with window defrost on to warm up the window and prevent condensation.
- Be sure to attach all cables firmly. This is one of the main installation errors. The automotive cables should all click when fully seated. The RJ45 (flat Ethernet cable) should also nicely click into both connections.
- The USB-C connection should be pushed in with some force. Users with errors have frequently discovered that the USB-C connection on the back of the C2 is a tight fit make sure that connection is fully inserted.
- Transparent Comma mount - A transparent mount instead of the black one that comes with the Comma. Handy if you drive around without the Comma device mounted to your windshield.
My mount fell off
If your mount falls off, discard at least the VHB (the adhesive) or the whole mount if you like. Any adhesive that has attempted to stick and failed is compromised and the same thing will happen if you attempt to reuse it. Comma provides you with a second mount, so just use that. Or order two new mounts from the shop. Be sure to go through all of the cleaning steps again, especially use of isopropyl alcohol. You can also purchase additional VHB adhesive from Amazon, the 3in squares work well.
How do I Remove the Residue on the Windshield after removing the Mount
IPA is probably all you need to do this (see above for what IPA is). If it is really bad, things like goo-gone can be used, but be sure to clean them off thoroughly before reinstalling a mount again.
Community Troubleshooting Video
If you are a visual learner, the community has also created some troubleshooting videos that may help you:
||Toyota Corolla 2020