Lesson 1 Protocol - Water-Monitor/IoT-Portfolio-FJS Wiki
The first lesson
- Media Technology and Design student
- Programming languages: C++, Java, Python, ...
- Experience with micro controllers: None
- Experience with board computer: None, but has heard of Raspberry Pi
- Not part of a maker community
- Knowledge about IoT: Knows that it includes Smart Homes, Smart Health and so on...
- Actually wants to know what micro controllers, board computers, etc. are
- 2.5 years ago is the last time I had to make a physical prototype. I made a shower with motors, LCD and LEDs with arduino and C#. Ive also worked a bit with LEGO mindstorms for a half year (code based).
- I feel way more familiar with Java since I have been programming in that language for the majority of the time.
- I never worked with IoT, but I am looking forward to work with it.
- Smart Health
- Smart Home
- Smart City
- MQTT (Message Queuing Telemetry Transport)
- CoAP (Constrained Application Protocol)
- AMQP (Advanced Message Queuing Protocol)
- Voice Controller
- Smart Air Quality Monitor
- Smart Coffee Machine
- Smart Irrigation Controller
- Smart Car
- Smart Mowing Machine
- Smart Room Designer
- Smart Watch
- An alarm that when it goes off starts your coffee machine
- Smart Light (motion detector at the stairs for example)
- smart vacuumcleaner
- smart heating system
- Smart Fridge (check stock of fridge)
- automatic Law-mower
- Chinas citizen observatory system
...and many more. Results were discussed and shared. After watching a few videos, more information was added and benefits and disadvantages were added. To help stream the videos without any loss of quality, we helped Ulrich to set up a Watch2gether room.
Benefits of IoT
- Saves time
- Saves effort
- Easy to control
- Easy to monitor
Disadvantages of IoT
- No electricity = no IoT
- Loss of privacy
- Is hard to adapt in healthcare system (who's gonna pay?)
- If everything relates to each other, one fatal error could destroy the whole system
- regulation by the government can restrict IoT
In the end we collected everything on Google Docs.