Web3.js Planning Meetings 2022 - ChainSafe/web3.js Wiki

Jun21: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Jun 7-Jun 21)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
  • Discussion Topics
  • 1.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open (cont..)
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Jun 21-Jul 5)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Discussion Topics
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint

Additional Notes

  • The team is learning a lot while documenting the 4.x Alpha release items. It's been a slow process, but making good progress.
  • During documenting breaking changes, the team used the Truffle project to convert to the 4.x Typescript rewrite. We were pleasantly surprised things went smoother than expected. There were a few discussion points within the team to determine how to handle some situations with the conversion.

Jun16: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Junaid, Nikos, Nazar, Alex, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Jun7: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (May 10-Jun 7)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Jun 7-Jun 21)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Discussion Topics
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint

Additional Notes

  • The main focus in the new sprint will be the 4.x Alpha Documentation.

May31: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team also discussed 4.x Alpha documentation a lot. Our biggest focus will be on a 1.x to 4.x Migration guide. It will also contain any breaking changes.

May24: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (May 10-May 24)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 1.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (May 24-Jun 7)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Discussion Topics
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint

Additional Notes

  • The team also discussed the 4.x Alpha documentation. Within this sprint we plan to create some documentation needed for Alpha testing. One important item will be a 1.x to 4.x Migration guide.

May17: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team discussed documentation tools to use with the 4.x rewrite. It looks like Docusaurus and TSDoc will be used, but things can change, so stay tuned.

May10: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Apr 26-May 10)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
      -None
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Additional Notes

  • 6 tasks were in the Review stage, so the heavy lifting is already done with those. Only 4 coding tasks will be pushed into the next sprint.
  • 4675 (1.x) issue will be moved back into the backlog due to no response from the community member. It's not a critical issue, but the Web3.js team will complete it after the 4.x Alpha release.

Sprint Planning (May 10-May 24)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Discussion Topics
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint (cont.)

Additional Notes

  • The team discussed Documentation procedures. We are looking to start some documentation for 4.x Alpha later in this sprint or the next one.
  • We are looking to wrap up the final 4.x Alpha items!!!

May04: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team also discussed "Communication" in our meeting and ways to improve it. Major topics on communication we discussed were Async update, discussing with the team when major changes are being made, and creating a draft PR for discussions.
  • 4.x Alpha testing is going great and scheduled to be completed after the next sprint.

Apr26: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Apr 12-Apr 26)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
      -None
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Apr 26-May 10)

  • Sprint Focus
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint (cont.)

Additional Notes
-Testing is a slow grind, but we are making progress.
-We are rolling over all tasks from the last sprint into the new one and only adding 1 new one.


Apr19: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

  • 4.x Release Plan Discussed

  • 4.x Alpha Documentation Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team reviewed the 4.x release plan (Alpha, Bravo, RC, 4.0.0).
  • 4.x Alpha Documentation topics discussed. Priority items labeled meaning they are must haves.

Apr12: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Mar 29-Apr 12)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 1.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Mar 29-Apr 12)

  • Sprint Focus
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint

Additional Notes -We overloaded the last sprint and didn't make the progress as expected.
-Heavy into 4.x Alpha testing this sprint.


Apr5: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team reviewed 4.x Alpha testing items. We are getting closer!

Mar29: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Mar 15-Mar 29)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed (cont.)
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open (cont.)
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Mar 29-Apr 12)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Issues To Review
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint (cont.)

Additional Notes

  • WE ARE 4.x ALPHA TESTING!
  • 1.x community submitted PRs are going unanswered. The Web3.js team needs a response bore merging

Mar22: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike, Nazar, Oleksii

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Additional Notes

  • The team reviewed 4.x Alpha testing items. We are getting closer!

Mar15: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Oleksii, Nikos, Mike

Sprint Retro (Mar 1-Mar 15)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed (cont.)
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open (cont.)
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Mar 15-Mar 29)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Issues To Review
  • 1.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint (cont.)

Mar8: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nikos, Mike

Backlog Refinement

  • New Web3.js Team Members
    • Nikos (3/7)
    • Oleskii (3/10)
  • Presentation Items Discussed
    • Alpha Testing Plan
      • Reviewed testing doc with the team and discussed.
    • 4.x Items to Review

Mar1: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Sprint Retro (Feb 15-Mar 1)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • Things to Improve
  • 1.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 1.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • 4.x Issues Open (cont.)
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Mar 1-Mar 15)

  • Sprint Focus
  • 1.x Items To Review
  • 4.x Items To Review
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint
  • 4.x Issues in Sprint (cont.)

Additional Notes

  • Many items will roll over to the next sprint.
  • 4.x Alpha release will be pushed a few sprints due to some additional items being included and some complex items taking longer and breaking down into multiple tasks to work on.
  • The "Review" stage is a reoccurring issue the team continues to discuss. Looking at a better process to lower the turnaround time.

Feb22: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

Feb15: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Sprint Retro (Feb 1-Feb 15)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 4.x Issues - Closed
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Feb 15-Mar 1)

  • Sprint Focus
  • To Review
  • 1.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues (cont.)

Feb8: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Backlog Refinement

  • Presentation Items Discussed

  • Backlog Board Items Reviewed

    • 4636: Link tsconfig.json file for web3-eth-accounts package to templates
      • Dependent on external issue, review if external issue exists, Beta release
    • 4590: web3 ABI encoder
      • Future release, enhancement, Beta release
    • 4556: Improve formatParam to not mutate the input
      • Estimate 3, Alpha release
    • 4555: Consistent encoding/decoding of the parameters
      • Alpha release
    • 4235: EIP-838 Error Codes
      • Feature request, Truffle asked to implement previously, Beta release
    • 4347: Web3 Release Process (CI/CD actions in Github)
      • Tests to write, dependent on 4.x Alpha tests, Alpha release
    • 3723: Implement EIP-2831
      • Feature request, future release
    • 4491: eth.net
      • Added to Eth Epic, Alpha release
    • 4494: 4.x build analysis
      • Review before Alpha release, Misc Alpha item
    • 4570: getPastEvents fromBlock and toBlock confusing, allow the use of just 'block'
      • Future release
    • 4582: ENS First class citizen
      • Future release
    • 4583: Revist error handling when writing web3-core-logging
      • Not knowing a type, need to update to a known type, Alpha release
    • 4586: ENS Reverse Registrar functions - 4.x
      • Future release
    • 4587: ENS Test Registrar functions - 4.x
      • Future release
    • 4588: ENS permanent Registrar functions - 4.x
      • Future release
    • 4591: Anonymous event logs
      • Alpha release
    • 4630: Removing ethereumjs/tx in Accounts package
      • Discussion for improvement, Wyatt - would like to pass off to EF package for logic
    • 4632: Replace duplicate Transaction types with generics for Web3Eth
      • Future Release
    • 4634: Replace isHexString8Bytes and isHexString32Bytes with generic isHexStringBytes method
      • Need to confirm it was already completed, Alpha release
    • 4635: Find a better suited library for testing typed code (web3-eth-abi and web3-eth-contract)
      • Need to discuss, Nazar has some thoughts, Beta release
    • 4637: web3-eth-accounts test fixtures should utilize Web3Errors
      • Review to see if already completed, Alpha release
    • 4639: accounts 4.x rewrite - validate keystore
      • Nazar already created a validator, Alpha release
    • 4685: Update web3-eth-contract to use web3-eth methods
      • Circular dependency talked about earlier, Close duplicate item 4754, Alpha release

Feb1: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Nazar, Mike

Sprint Retro (Jan 18-Feb 1)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 1.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues Closed
  • 4.x Issues Open
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Feb 1-Feb 15)

  • Sprint Focus
  • Discuss & Add Point Estimate
  • 4.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues

Jan25: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Backlog Refinement

  • 1.x
    • None
  • 4.x
    • Contracts: Estimated 2
      • ABI: Estimated 1
    • Reviewed 'Stale' issues for relevance/updates
      • Reviewed Misc. issues for relavance/updates

Additional Notes

  • Discussed meeting times to account for timezone changes within the team - Moving longer meetings to a start time of UTC-5:00 - Updating daily standups to have 2 each week (Tue/Thur) scheduled and 3 ascync updates (Mon/Wed/Fri)

Jan20: Decomposing

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Decomposing Meeting

  • Current Sprint Items Discussed
    • 4580 - 1.x Bug - eth.Contract objects are never garbagecollected
    • 4667 - Web3 Validator - ToDos - 5pts
    • 4509 - Eth Transaction - Don't autofill gasPrice on transactions - Wyatt to add approach on the Discussion thread
    • 4573 - Web3 Common - eip-155 chainId in Transaction - added 'Investigate' label
  • Eth Personal Epic
    • 4720 - Web3 Eth Personal - 5pts

Additional Notes

  • Discussed upcoming Chainlink project addition to Web3.js - 1 function call will be added - get_price

Jan18: Sprint Retro & Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Sprint Retro (Jan 5-Jan 18)

  • Discussion on Sprint
    • What Went Well
    • Things to Improve
    • Action Items
  • 1.x
  • 4.x
  • Burndown Chart

Sprint Planning (Jun 18-Feb 1)

  • Discuss & Add Point Estimate
  • 1.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues

Jan11: Backlog Refinement

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Issues Reviewed

  • 4680: Create the Web3 class - 4.x
    • Get feedback from the community if it's used
    • Check with Truffle and Nomic Labs
    • Not for 4.x Alpha release
    • Removed the "Extend" portion - putting in separate issue.
  • 4683: Web3 package - Include provider and batch request 4.x
    • Removing "Extend" - similar to 4680
    • Closed it
    • Done in 4680
  • 4681: Implement Web3 function
    • Closed it
  • 4682: Web3 package - include tracking of build size 4.x
    • Tree Shaking - provide functions, can go into each class
    • Holding off estimating for now
    • May split it up
    • Need to validate it runs in a browser
  • 4448: Integrate 'IBAN' formatter with the 'inputAddressFormatter' in 'web3-common'
    • Took off Web3 Common Epic
    • Handle in IBAN
  • 4374: Web3.providers-http:ETH2 Style JSON RPC Schema support
    • Move to Consensus
    • Not for 4.x Alpha release
  • 4347: Web3 Release Process (CI/CD actions in Github)
    • May need to create a misc Epic for things like this
    • Wyatt: Belongs to building items
    • Make Epic for Building?
  • 4573: eip-155 chainId in Transaction
    • Linked to Common Epic
    • Wyatt: chainId comes earlier
    • Nazar: Specs do not change due to chainId
  • Testing
    • Wyatt: Don't copy from 1.x
    • Can use, but some info will need to be removed
    • Setup a testing brainstorming session

Jan5: Sprint Planning

Attendance

  • Wyatt, Alex, Junaid, Nazar, Mike

Sprint Planning (Jan 5-Jan 18)

  • 1.x Issues
  • 4.x Issues

⚠️ **GitHub.com Fallback** ⚠️