Terminology - Atmosphere/atmosphere Wiki
What is the Atmosphere Framework?
The Atmosphere Framework contains several modules, which can be used depending on your needs. All modules are supporting Websockets and Comet Technique. To decide which module is the most appropriate, take a look at this blog
- Atmosphere Runtime: This module can be used to write POJO written in Java, Scala, JRuby or Groovy. The main components are AtmosphereHandler, WebSocketHandler and Meteor. An AtmosphereHandler can be used to suspend, resume and broadcast. A Meteor can be used with existing Servlet or Servlet based technology like JSP, JSF, Struts, etc.
- Atmosphere Jersey: This module can be used to write REST & Asynchronous Web application. The REST engine used is Jersey.
- Atmosphere GWT: Atmosphere extension for the GWT framework.
- Suspend: The action of suspending consist of telling the underlying Web Server to not commit the response, e.g. to not send back to the browser the final bytes the browser is waiting for before considering the request completed.
- Resume: The action of resuming consist of completing the response, e.g. committing the response by sending back to the browser the final bytes the browser is waiting for before considering the request completed.
- Broadcast: The action of broadcasting consists of producing a message and distributing that message to one or many suspended responses. The suspended response can then decide to discard the event or send it back to the browser.