Frontend - reliatec-gmbh/LibreClinica Wiki
Notes regarding cleanup/speedup of current frontend
Here are some candidates for retirement:
WEB-INF/jsp/tags: all files in folder
Additional things to remove/change (in order of complexity, from minimum to maximum):
- Sitemesh library in pom.xml + its related decorator. This was a project that didn't catch on, but some code was put into production anyway. This can be removed and will not affect the build.
- All of the images which have text on them can be removed from the web\src\main\webapp\images folder, if they haven't been already. Examples include bt_Support and bt_Login.
- A lot of the CSS is outdated, which means you have many DIVs around a line of text to create a textbox. Example: https://gist.github.com/tomhickerson/db22c4afa1d6283c4cfb5ccda308f6e6
- Buttons could stand an update with pure CSS, as they are currently images with HTML text added to them.
- Prototype.js and Scriptaculous.js/Effects.js are still being used - those need to go, or at least trimmed down to not include everything (looking at effects.js on that point).
- Icons could probably use a fresher look with SVGs. Several free SVG collections exist, such as Font Awesome or Bootstrap Icons.
- jQuery should be updated, but this is a more complex ask as we have a lot of code running on it (esp in CRFs working with this). I'd recommend looking at the Upgrade Guide at https://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/3.0/.