Kernel V4.4 New _ Feature states in Android 11 roms - LGE-G5-G6-V20/msm8996_lge_kernel Wiki
Why Android 11?
While we already have 12.1 booting at this stage, this table focuses on 11 since all those features are known to work in 3.18 to some extent, and we can't run 3.18 on 12+ without some major compromises. So 11 is a great way of testing issues with the kernel.
Table of features
For features with an appended asterisk, refer to the section right below this table.
|Feature||LG G5 (H1/Alice)||LG G6 (Lucye)||LG V20 (Hplus/Elsa)|
|Video over USBC||Works||Untested||Works|
|Wi-fi||Works(2.4GHz)||Works (2.4GHz)||Works (2.4 & 5GHz)|
|Hotspot||Works(2.4GHz)||Works (2.4GHz)||Works (2.4 & 5GHz)|
|Other LGE/QTI sensors||Works||Untested||Works|
|Calls over 3G||Untested||Untested||Works|
|Calls over 4G||Not working*||Not working*||Not working*|
|MSM8996 clock scaling||Works||Works||Works|
|SoC Audio drivers||Works||Works||Works|
|Adreno KGSL stack||Works||Works||Works|
|Vibration(needs selinux permissive)||Works||Works||Works|
|USB gadget mode||Works||Works||Works|
|Speaker and Headphone Jack||Works||Works||Works|
|FM Radio||Works||Not working||Works|
|Audio over HDMI||Works||Unavailable||Works|
|Camera||Not working||Not working||Not working|
|Ethernet over USBC||Unavailable?||Unavailable?||Untested|
|Modules support||Not working||Unavailable||Unavailable|
|Waterproof property||Unavailable||Not working||Unavailable|
What works, but is either finicky or has major caveats:
- USB OTG (Most of the time it works, but a few states such as PWRED_ACCESSORY aren't as feature complete as they should be)
- Infrared (Kernel-side too, it's been buggy for years, but some improvements were done in the suspend modes) (G5/V20)
What doesn't work
- Calls over 4G (It's not a kernel issue, but actually a result of LGE not open-sourcing their VoLTE frameworks)
- Camera (Kernel seems to register the sensors and everything appears to be picked up correctly. But trying to use the camera results in a black screen with logcat pointing some errors while the kernel shows no signs of having issues with it)
We might be missing some of those phones' features, so this section will be updated to include them as we discover and/or fix things.
Possible steps to get the features working
- The infrared blaster currently hangs after sending a pattern, only responding again after suspending and resuming. Possible approaches are altering the IR Hal to deal with that; finding a way to force the driver to "restart" a few milliseconds after sending the pattern; or tracking the bug down to qcom's serial drivers, since IR worked on older revisions of 3.18.
- Camera issues seem to stem from something very small, but critical to that subsystem. Looking at the logs and finding out what exactly is failing then trying to fix it is the go-to approach.