Somax2 on Windows - DYCI2/Somax2 Wiki
Somax 2 is currently only supported on MacOS. It is however possible to install it with almost full functionality on Windows 10 through the following steps:
1. Installing Python 3.9
Install Python 3.9 following the instructions here. Either of the alternatives work but installing it through the Microsoft Store is most likely the easiest alternative. Make sure that you select version 3.9.
If you already have python 3.9 installed or if you prefer to use your own environment (conda, etc.), this step can be ignored / adapted accordingly.
2. Installing the Somax Python Library
- Open the «Windows Powershell» application (or «Command Prompt»)
python3 --versionand make sure that it prints 3.9
- Install the Somax library through
pip3 install somax
3. Installing Max 8
(If you already have Max 8, you can ignore this step)
- Download and install Max 8 from here. Unless you've purchased a Max license, Max 8 will run as a trial but this will be sufficient to run Somax
- Open the Max 8 application. By default, this should create a directory
4. Installing the Somax Library and Dependencies
- Install Max Sound Box
- Go to the Ircam Forum and download Max Sound Box. You will need to register to the forum to access it, but it is completely free.
- Install it by unzipping the
MaxSoundBoxfolder and placing it in
- Install Somax
- Download the Somax package for windows
- Install it by unzipping the
Somax2folder and placing it in
Note! For both of these packages, it's incredibly important that the
MaxSoundBox folders are located directly in the
Packages folder and not in a subfolder (e.g., that the path to the
Packages\Somax2\somax2.maxpat and not
5. Running Somax
It should now be possible to run somax with two caveats:
- It's not possible to launch the Somax Server from inside Max – It'll be necessary to do this manually each time you want to use Somax.
bonk~onset detector is not available in the Windows version (but there are other onset detectors available)
To launch somax, simply open
Running the Somax Server
Normally, the server is launched by clicking the
Start Server button in the Max user interface. This is however not possible on windows. Instead, the server must be launched manually. To do this
Open the «Windows Powershell» or «Command Prompt» and run
python3 C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\Max 8\Packages\Somax2\somax_server.py
This should print a message in the style of
[INFO]: Somax server (version: 2.x) was started with input port 1234, output port 1235 and ip 127.0.0.1. You should also see that the
Start Serverbutton inthe Max user interface has changed into
Instatiate Player(s). Now, you can use this module as usual.
The Bonk Onset Detector
When launching somax, you will most likely see an error in the Max console saying
Error 126 loading external bonk~
This simply means that you cannot use the
bonk~ onset detector in the «AudioInfluencer», only the Yin-based onset detector is available for now, which is the default.